39+ Daniel Barenboim Quotes On Education, Music And Culture
Quick Jump To
Top 10 Daniel Barenboim Quotes (BEST)
- And in English you have this wonderful difference between listening and hearing, and that you can hear without listening, and you can listen and not hear.
- Anti-Semitism has no historical, political and certainly no philosophical origins. Anti-Semitism is a disease.
- There are many types of silence. There is a silence before the note, there is a silence at the end and there is a silence in the middle.
- An hour of violin lessons in Berlin is an hour where you get the child interested in music. An hour in a violin lesson in Palestine is an hour away from violence, is an hour away from fundamentalism.
- Music means different things to different people and sometimes even different things to the same person at different moments of his life.
- Every great work of art has two faces, one toward its own time and one toward the future, toward eternity.
- The tempo is the suitcase. If the suitcase is too small, everything is completely wrinkled. If the tempo is too fast, everything becomes so scrambled you can't understand it.
- I can't stand being in Chicago anymore and hearing the Brahms Violin Concerto in the elevator. Because that shows me that when they come to the concert hall they listen to it in the same way.
- Jewish intellectuals contributed a great deal to insure that Europe became a continent of humanism, and it is with these humanist ideals that Europe must now intervene in the Middle East conflict.
- To have real knowledge, one must understand the essence of things and not only their manifestations.
Daniel Barenboim Short Quotes
- In the beginning, there was silence. And out of the silence came the sound. The sound is not here.
- Tradition demands that we not speak poorly of the dead.
- The Germans are prisoners of their past.
Daniel Barenboim Quotes On Music
The Steinway piano is such an incomparable instrument. Due to its virtues, I am able to express all my musical feelings. — Daniel Barenboim
Wagner exploited all forms of expression at a composer's disposal - harmony, dynamics, orchestration - to the extreme. His music is highly emotional, and at the same time Wagner has extraordinary control over the effect he achieves. — Daniel Barenboim
Today, conducting is a question of ego: a lot of people believe they are actually playing the music. — Daniel Barenboim
Music has the capacity to create a greater reality. — Daniel Barenboim
When playing music, it is possible to achieve a unique sense of peace. — Daniel Barenboim
Daniel Barenboim Quotes On World
US presidents can make all the commitments and declarations they want until they are blue in the face, in the Muslim world they will always be perceived as partisan. — Daniel Barenboim
I'm not naive. I know perfectly well that there isn't a single Arab or Muslim in the world who would say: There has to be a Jewish state in the Middle East. — Daniel Barenboim
I don't believe that the entire world is constantly anti-Semitic. — Daniel Barenboim
Daniel Barenboim Famous Quotes And Sayings
In times of totalitarian or autocratic rule, music (indeed culture in general) is often the only avenue of independent thought. It is the only way people can meet as equals, and exchange ideas. Culture then becomes primarily the voice of the oppressed and it takes over from politics as a driving force for change. — Daniel Barenboim
But the ear, let us not forget, starts operating on the forty-fifth day of the pregnancy of a woman. Seven and a half months advance over the eye...(but) what do we do in our society, in our civilisation, to continue this process? — Daniel Barenboim
Sound is often talked about in a very subjective way, as if it had a colour. This is a bright sound, this is a dark sound. I don't believe in that because I think that is much too subjective. — Daniel Barenboim
Now the first step has to be taken, the step towards democracy. This step is full of risks, and requires trust on all sides. We don't know where it will lead. But if we just stand still, we will have no chance of escaping the violence. — Daniel Barenboim
I have the greatest respect for the survivors of the Holocaust. We can't even imagine what these people went through. — Daniel Barenboim
I have heard Ori Kam on several occasions over the last few years and have always been deeply impressed with his playing. He possesses a rare combination of musical talent, technical facility, intelligence, and charisma, and he is undoubtedly one of the most extraordinary young artists I have heard in recent years. — Daniel Barenboim
European anti-Semitism goes much further back than to the partition of Palestine and the establishment of Israel in 1948. It even goes further back than the Holocaust. — Daniel Barenboim
In the long term, Israel's security rests on only one pillar: the Palestinians' acceptance of the country. It isn't the atom bomb that makes Israel secure. — Daniel Barenboim
There are probably many people in Israel who believe that Wagner, who died in 1883, lived in Berlin in 1942 and was friends with Hitler. — Daniel Barenboim
An Israeli who thinks that his government is doing everything right wouldn't join the Divan Orchestra in the first place. — Daniel Barenboim
I'm sure that there are many Israelis who dream of waking up one day to find the Palestinians gone. And there are many Palestinians who dream of going to bed at night and waking up the next morning to find the Israelis gone. — Daniel Barenboim
The French Revolution gave us three... powerful ideas, or concepts - liberty, equality and fraternity. But these ideas... are not only right in themselves, but they are so because they come in the proper order. You cannot have equality without liberty, and you certainly cannot have fraternity without equality. The importance of this I learnt from music, because music evolves in time, and therefore the order inevitably determines the content. — Daniel Barenboim
Not only has the eyes taken over, but we have anaesthetised the ears through all the muzak that we hear all the time. — Daniel Barenboim
I hope that my new status will be an example of Israeli-Palestinian co-existence, I believe that the destinies of the Israeli people and the Palestinian people are inextricably linked. — Daniel Barenboim
The ear plays the role of the guide in the museum in the concert I'm taking now. We don't have an oral guide, we have to provide it ourselves. One reason why active listening is absolutely essential. — Daniel Barenboim
Israel's strategy cannot be to constantly confront the Palestinians with the history of the Holocaust, but instead to show them that Israel is a reality. — Daniel Barenboim
If a man dreams about sleeping with Marilyn Monroe, he's certainly entitled to that. But when he wakes up, he has to acknowledge that he is married to someone else. — Daniel Barenboim
Germany will never be a real, free thinking and free feeling friend of Israel, because it will always fall under this shadow. — Daniel Barenboim
Life Lessons by Daniel Barenboim
- Daniel Barenboim has shown that it is possible to break down barriers and bring people together through music. He has demonstrated the power of collaboration and the importance of embracing diversity in order to create something beautiful.
- He has also highlighted the importance of taking risks and having the courage to stand up for what you believe in, even when it is unpopular.
- Finally, he has shown that it is possible to achieve success through hard work and dedication, and that it is important to never give up on your dreams.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of Daniel Barenboim quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about Daniel Barenboim to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by Daniel Barenboim. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage