39+ Joseph Rotblat Quotes On Education, World And Nuclear Disarmament
Quick Jump To
Top 10 Joseph Rotblat Quotes (BEST)
- But scientists on both sides of the iron curtain played a very significant role in maintaining the momentum of the nuclear arms race throughout the four decades of the Cold War.
- The present basic philosophy is nuclear deterrence.
- But the nuclear powers still cling tenaciously to their weapons.
- I did not imagine that the second half of my life would be spent on efforts to avert a mortal danger to humanity created by science.
- My third appeal is to my fellow citizens in all countries: Help us to establish lasting peace in the world.
- Indeed, the very first resolution of the General Assembly of the United Nations - adopted unanimously - called for the elimination of nuclear weapons.
- The decision to use the atom bomb on Japanese cities, and the consequent buildup of enormous nuclear arsenals, was made by governments, on the basis of political and military perceptions.
- Long before the terrifying potential of the arms race was recognized, there was a widespread instinctive abhorrence of nuclear weapons, and a strong desire to get rid of them.
- Indeed, the whole human species is endangered, by nuclear weapons or by other means of wholesale destruction which further advances in science are likely to produce.
- My short-term vision is the abolition of nuclear weapons. My long-term vision is the abolition of war.
Joseph Rotblat Short Quotes
- The Cold War is over but Cold War thinking survives.
- Above all remember your humanity.
- I appeal to my fellow scientists to remember their responsibility to humanity.
Joseph Rotblat Quotes On World
This is the reality of nuclear weapons: they may trigger a world war; a war which, unlike previous ones, destroys all of civilization. — Joseph Rotblat
To sum up, there is no evidence that a world without nuclear weapons would be a dangerous world. On the contrary, it would be a safer world, as I will show later. — Joseph Rotblat
There is no direct evidence that nuclear weapons prevented a world war. Conversely, it is known that they nearly caused one. — Joseph Rotblat
Joseph Rotblat Quotes On Nuclear
Let me remind you that nuclear disarmament is not just an ardent desire of the people, as expressed in many resolutions of the United Nations. It is a legal commitment by the five official nuclear states, entered into when they signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty. — Joseph Rotblat
If the militarily most powerful - and least threatened - states need nuclear weapons for their security, how can one deny such security to countries that are truly insecure? The present nuclear policy is a recipe for proliferation. It is a policy for disaster. — Joseph Rotblat
My worry is that other advances in science may result in other means of mass destruction, maybe more readily available even than nuclear weapons. Genetic engineering is quite a possible area, because of these dreadful developments that are taking place there. — Joseph Rotblat
The chief task was to stop the arms race before it brought utter disaster. However, after the collapse of communism and the disintegration of the Soviet Union, any rationale for having nuclear weapons disappeared. — Joseph Rotblat
So I ask the nuclear powers to abandon the out-of-date thinking of the Cold War period and take a fresh look. Above all, I appeal to them to bear in mind the long-term threat that nuclear weapons pose to humankind and to begin action towards their elimination. — Joseph Rotblat
All nuclear weapon states should now recognize that this is so, and declare - in Treaty form - that they will never be the first to use nuclear weapons. This would open the way to the gradual, mutual reduction of nuclear arsenals, down to zero. — Joseph Rotblat
Since the end of the Cold War two main nuclear powers have begun to make big reductions in their nuclear arsenals. Each of them is dismantling about 2,000 nuclear warheads a year. — Joseph Rotblat
This means that the only function of nuclear weapons, while they exist, is to deter a nuclear attack. — Joseph Rotblat
We are told that the possession of nuclear weapons - in some cases even the testing of these weapons - is essential for national security. But this argument can be made by other countries as well. — Joseph Rotblat
When the START 2 treaty has been implemented - and remember it has not yet been ratified - we will be left with some 15,000 nuclear warheads, active and in reserve. Fifteen thousand weapons with an average yield of 20 Hiroshima bombs. — Joseph Rotblat
Joseph Rotblat Quotes On Weapons
As for the assertion that nuclear weapons prevent wars, how many more wars are needed to refute this arguments? Tens of millions have died in the many wars that have taken place since 1945. — Joseph Rotblat
I have to bring to your notice a terrifying reality: with the development of nuclear weapons Man has acquired, for the first time in history, the technical means to destroy the whole of civilization in a single act. — Joseph Rotblat
Several studies, and a number of public statements by senior military and political personalities, testify that - except for disputes between the present nuclear states - all military conflicts, as well as threats to peace, can be dealt with using conventional weapons. — Joseph Rotblat
Joseph Rotblat Quotes On Science
At a time when science plays such a powerful role in the life of society, when the destiny of the whole of mankind may hinge on the results of scientific research, it is incumbent on all scientists to be fully conscious of that role, and conduct themselves accordingly. — Joseph Rotblat
Technology is driving us together. In many ways we are becoming like one family. With the global threats resulting from science and technology, the whole of humankind now needs protection. We have to extend our loyalty to the whole of the human race. — Joseph Rotblat
But the first the general public learned about the discovery was the news of the destruction of Hiroshima by the atom bomb. A splendid achievement of science and technology had turned malign. Science became identified with death and destruction. — Joseph Rotblat
From my earliest days I had a passion for science. — Joseph Rotblat
I saw science as being in harmony with humanity. — Joseph Rotblat
Joseph Rotblat Famous Quotes And Sayings
The most terrifying moment in my life was October 1962, during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I did not know all the facts - we have learned only recently how close we were to war - but I knew enough to make me tremble. — Joseph Rotblat
The quest for a war-free world has a basic purpose: survival. But if in the process we learn how to achieve it by love rather than by fear, by kindness rather than by compulsion; if in the process we learn to combine the essential with the enjoyable, the expedient with the benevolent, the practical with the beautiful, this will be an extra incentive to embark on this great task. — Joseph Rotblat
Whatever system of governance is eventually adopted, it is important that it carries the people with it. We need to convey the message that safeguarding our common property, humankind, will require developing in each of us a new loyalty: a loyalty to mankind. It calls for the nurturing of a feeling of belonging to the human race. We have to become world citizens. — Joseph Rotblat
The time has come to formulate guidelines for the ethical conduct of scientist, perhaps in the form of a voluntary Hippocratic Oath. — Joseph Rotblat
Alice Stewart [is] a much underestimated scientist who has been an indomitable challenger of the establishment and a thorn in the flesh of the nuclear industry. — Joseph Rotblat
Life Lessons by Joseph Rotblat
- Joseph Rotblat's work demonstrates the importance of using science for the benefit of humanity, rather than for military or political gain.
- He taught us that science can be used to promote peace and understanding between nations, rather than to create weapons of destruction.
- His work serves as a reminder that scientists have a responsibility to use their knowledge for the betterment of society, rather than for personal gain.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of Joseph Rotblat quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about Joseph Rotblat to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by Joseph Rotblat. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage