45+ Anish Kapoor Quotes On Kapoor And Kapoor, Paper And Abstract
Quick Jump To
Top 10 Anish Kapoor Quotes (BEST)
- One cannot set out to make a work that's spiritual. What is a contemporary iconography for the spiritual? Is it some fuzzy space?
- A work will only have deep resonance if the kind of darkness I can generate is something that is resident in me already
- Red, of course, is the colour of the interior of our bodies. In a way it's inside out, red.
- If you get a bad review, you take that in your stride.
- I think I understand something about space. I think the job of a sculptor is spatial as much as it is to do with form.
- That freedom that Picasso afforded himself, to be an artist in a huge number of ways, seems to be a huge psychological liberation.
- Much of what I make is geometric, and has a kind of almost mathematical logic to the form.
- One of the great currents in the contemporary experience of art is that it seems to come out of the experience of the author.
- I've always felt that if one was going to take seriously this vocation as an artist, you have to get beyond that decorative facade
- Maybe the way we have learned to look has changed in the last 25 years, and the exotic is much more acceptable. There are many artists now, younger artists, who work out of the exotic
Anish Kapoor Short Quotes
- Re-investing in one's own little moments of insight is very important
- My work is not about my life history. It's not about the story of my neurosis
- The eye is a very quick instrument, much quicker than the ear. The eye gets it immediately
- If one is talking about sculpture then scale and skin is everything.
- One doesn't make art for other people, even though I am very concerned with the viewer
- Work grows out of other work, and there are very few eureka moments
- I feel the symbolic world is the nub of a problem for an artist
- All ideas grow out of other ideas
- I'm not an artist who has an agenda that's set by the work
- One must not believe any of those mythologies about oneself as an artist
Anish Kapoor Famous Quotes And Sayings
I don't want to have anything to say, it just gets in the way. I think the journey of an artist is a journey of discovery and some engagements with paint, with the nature of material, with bodily things...One wants to open the story, not close it. — Anish Kapoor
What one does in the studio is to pose a series of problems to oneself. I've got to look for some deeper meaning, for some reason for this thing to be in the world. There's enough stuff in the world. — Anish Kapoor
You know that day after day of, Oh God what am I going to do with myself feeling? The fear of the emptiness that it implies keeps me going — Anish Kapoor
It's precisely in those moments when I don't know what to do, boredom drives one to try a host of possibilities to either get somewhere or not get anywhere. — Anish Kapoor
One does afford oneself the luxury to come into the studio and all day, every day, spend one's life making aesthetic propositions. What an immense luxury — Anish Kapoor
What interests me is the sense of the darkness that we carry within us, the darkness that's akin to one of the principal subjects of the sublime - terror — Anish Kapoor
Red is a colour I've felt very strongly about. Maybe red is a very Indian colour, maybe it's one of those things that I grew up with and recognise at some other level. — Anish Kapoor
Is it my role as an artist to say something, to express, to be expressive? I think it's my role as an artist to bring to expression, it's not my role to be expressive. — Anish Kapoor
I used to empty the studio out and throw stuff away. I now don't. There will be a whole series of dead ends that a year or two down the line I'll come back to — Anish Kapoor
My first show sold within the first 3 minutes, and I came back to the studio and spent the next two and a half years making almost nothing — Anish Kapoor
I, in the end, make art for myself. — Anish Kapoor
It is important that artists are not outside the equation, we don't stand on the sidelines. Artists are part of the story of a response, we cannot stand aside and let others make the response. — Anish Kapoor
It's the role of the artist to pursue content — Anish Kapoor
I'm not necessarily interested in being the best Indian artist. I want to be the best artist I can be. That's enough of a declaration of intent. — Anish Kapoor
Being an artist is a very long game. It is not a 10-year game. I hope I'll be around making art when I'm 80 — Anish Kapoor
The work itself has a complete circle of meaning and counterpoint. And without your involvement as a viewer, there is no story. — Anish Kapoor
The most important things that one's working on are not necessarily the most important things that one thinks one's working on. — Anish Kapoor
One can hardly be Indian and not know that almost every accent, which hand you eat your food with, has some deeper symbolic truth, reality. — Anish Kapoor
If sculpture can really deal with the body, because we all inhabit ourselves, and if sculpture can really do that, which it is supposed to be able to do, and through it ask questions, philosophical questions, about being, I think these are all things we work on, all of us in our different ways, so perhaps somewhere in there, there are moments where dumb objects can speak. — Anish Kapoor
The whole point of being an artist is to have no agenda. To say, you know, I don't know what I am going to do tomorrow, I don't know what it's going to look like, and I'm going to have a go at it. — Anish Kapoor
I am really interested in the idea that art can reach wider, can go further, can go beyond the art world, why not? People are intelligent, people are visually intelligent, and why shouldn't the work be able to engage some of that? — Anish Kapoor
We live in a fractured world. I've always seen it as my role as an artist to attempt to make wholeness. — Anish Kapoor
One does not set out with the idea that I've just had a great idea and now I'm going to go and carry it out. Almost all art that's made like that doesn't go anywhere. — Anish Kapoor
Artists don't make objects. Artists make mythologies. — Anish Kapoor
There's something imminent in the work, but the circle is only completed by the viewer. — Anish Kapoor
Life Lessons by Anish Kapoor
- Anish Kapoor's work emphasizes the importance of exploring the boundaries of art and pushing the limits of creativity.
- His sculptures often explore themes of duality, such as the relationship between the physical and the metaphysical, and the balance between chaos and order.
- Through his art, Kapoor encourages viewers to think beyond the limits of what is traditionally accepted and to explore the possibilities of a more expansive artistic vision.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of Anish Kapoor quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about Anish Kapoor to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by Anish Kapoor. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage