40+ Harvey Milk Quotes On Advocate, Inspire And Legacy
Quick Jump To
Top 10 Harvey Milk Quotes (BEST)
- All young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential.
- If you are not personally free to be yourself in that most important of all human activities... the expression of love... then life itself loses its meaning.
- I know that you cannot live on hope alone, but without it, life is not worth living. And you...And you...And you...Gotta give em hope.
- The fact is that more people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason. That, THAT my friends, is true perversion.
- All men are created equal. Now matter how hard they try, they can never erase those words. That is what America is about.
- Every gay person must come out.... Once they realize we are indeed their children, we are indeed everywhere, every myth, every lie, every innuendo will be destroyed once and for all.
- It takes no compromise to give people their rights
- We are coming out to tell the truths about gays, for I am tired of the conspiracy of silence, so I'm going to talk about it. And I want you to talk about it.
- I like to sit in the window and watch the cute boys walk by.
- Coming out is the most political thing you can do
Harvey Milk Short Quotes
- Never take an elevator in city hall.
- Some people call me the unofficial mayor of Castro Street.
- If we wish to rebuild our cities, we must first rebuild our neighborhoods.
- Freedom is too enormous to be slipped under a closet door.
- Hope is never silent.
- Out of the bars and into the streets!
- I finally reached the point where I knew I had to become involved or shut up.
- If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door.
- The American Dream starts with the neighborhoods.
- Rights are won only by those who make their voices heard.
Harvey Milk Famous Quotes And Sayings
Lets make no mistake about this: The American Dream starts with the neigborhoods. If we wish to rebuild our cities, we must first rebuild our neighborhoods. And to do that, we must understand that the quality of life is more important than the standard of living. — Harvey Milk
I wish I had time to explain everything I did. Almost everything was done with an eye on the GLBT movement...last week I got a phone call from Altoona, Pennsylvania, and the voice was young, my election gave one more young person, hope — Harvey Milk
I have tasted freedom. I will not give up that which I have tasted. I have a lot more to drink. For that reason, the political numbers game will be played. I know the rules of their game now and how to play it. — Harvey Milk
It's not my victory, it's yours and yours and yours. If a gay can win, it means there is hope that the system can work for all minorities if we fight. We've given them hope. — Harvey Milk
To sit on the front steps — whether it's a veranda in a small town or a concrete stoop in a big city — and to talk to our neighborhoods is infinitely more important than to huddle on the living-room lounger and watch a make-believe world in not-quite living color. — Harvey Milk
A reading of the Declaration of Independence on the steps of a building is widely covered. The events that started the American Revolution were the meetings in homes, pubs, on street corners. — Harvey Milk
All over the country, they're reading about me, and the story doesn't center on me being gay. It's just about a gay person who is doing his job. — Harvey Milk
Let me have my tax money go for my protection and not for my prosecution. Let my tax money go for the protection of me. Protect my home, protect my streets, protect my car, protect my life, protect my property...worry about becoming a human being and not about how you can prevent others from enjoying their lives because of your own inability to adjust to life. — Harvey Milk
We don't want sympathetic liberals, we want gays to represent gays... I represent the gay street people-the 14-year-old runaway from San Antonio. We have to make up for hundreds of years of persecution. We have to give hope to that poor runaway kid from San Antonio. They go to the bars because churches are hostile. They need hope! They need a piece of the pie! — Harvey Milk
I ask for the movement to continue, for the movement to grow, because last week I got a phone call from Altoona, Pennsylvania, and my election gave somebody else, one more person, hope. And after all, that's what this is all about. It's not about personal gain, not about ego, not about power - it's about giving those young people out there in the Altoona, Pennsylvanias, hope. You gotta give them hope. — Harvey Milk
I fully realize that a person who stands for what I stand for, an activist, a gay activist, becomes the target or the potential target for a person who is insecure, terrified, afraid, or very disturbed with themselves. — Harvey Milk
Politics is theater. It doesn't matter if you win. You make a statement. You say, "I'm here, pay attention to me — Harvey Milk
My name is Harvey Milk and I'm here to recruit you. — Harvey Milk
If I turned around every time somebody called me a faggot, I'd be walking backward - and I don't want to walk backward. — Harvey Milk
Gay brothers and sisters... You must come out. Come out to your relatives... come out to your friends... Come out to your neighbors... to your fellow workers... to the people who work where you eat and shop... break down the myths, destroy the lies and distortions. For your sake. For their sake. For the sake of the youngsters who are becoming scared. — Harvey Milk
I would like to see every gay doctor come out, every gay lawyer, every gay architect come out, stand up and let that world know. That would do more to end prejudice overnight than anybody would imagine. I urge them to do that, urge them to come out. Only that way will we start to achieve our rights. — Harvey Milk
More people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason. That, my friends, that is true perversion. — Harvey Milk
If it were true that children mimicked their teachers, you'd sure have a helluva lot more nuns running around. — Harvey Milk
We will not win our rights by staying quietly in our closets. — Harvey Milk
I was born of heterosexual parents. I was taught by heterosexual teachers in a fiercely heterosexual society. Television ads and newspaper ads — fiercely heterosexual. A society that puts down homosexuality. And why am I a homosexual if I'm affected by role models? I should have been a heterosexual. And no offense meant, but if teachers are going to affect you as role models, there'd be a lot of nuns running around the streets today. — Harvey Milk
Life Lessons by Harvey Milk
- Harvey Milk showed us the power of standing up for what you believe in and fighting for justice and equality.
- He showed us the importance of speaking out and using your voice to create change.
- He demonstrated the importance of courage and resilience in the face of adversity.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of Harvey Milk quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about Harvey Milk to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by Harvey Milk. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage