33+ Henry L. Stimson Quotes On Education, World And Diplomacy
Quick Jump To
Top 10 Henry L. Stimson Quotes (BEST)
- The chief lesson I have learned in a long life is that the only way you can make a man trustworthy is to trust him; and the surest way to make him untrustworthy is to distrust him.
- The only way to make a man trustworthy is to trust him.
- Gentlemen don't read each other's mail.
- Honor begets honor; trust begets trust; faith begets faith; and hope is the mainspring of life.
- But I think the bomb instead constitutes merely a first step in a new control by man over the forces of nature too revolutionary and dangerous to fit into old concepts.
- Russia will occupy most of the good food lands of central Europe while we have the industrial portions. We must find some way of persuading Russia to play ball.
- History knows no greater display of courage than that shown by the people of the Soviet Union.
- We think it will be shortly afterwards, but it seems a terrible thing to gamble with such big stakes in diplomacy without having your master card in your hand.
- We debated long over the situation for it is a very difficult question and all of us recognize its difficulty.
- Hope is the mainspring of life.
Henry L. Stimson Short Quotes
- A private meeting with Hoover is like sitting in a both of ink.
- The only deadly sin I know is cynicism.
- History is often not what actually happened but what is recorded as such.
Henry L. Stimson Quotes On Bomb
We had news this morning of another successful atomic bomb being dropped on Nagasaki. These two heavy blows have fallen in quick succession upon the Japanese and there will be quite a little space before we intend to drop another. — Henry L. Stimson
The bomb and the entrance of the Russians into the war will certainly have an effect on hastening the victory. — Henry L. Stimson
I told him there was one city that they must not bomb without my permission and that was Kyoto. — Henry L. Stimson
Henry L. Stimson Quotes On President
As to the war with Japan, the President had already received my memorandum in general as to the possibility of getting a substantial unconditional surrender from Japan which I had written before leaving Washington and which he had approved. — Henry L. Stimson
The President so far has struck me as a man who is trying hard to keep his balance. He certainly has been very receptive to all my efforts in these directions. — Henry L. Stimson
After I had gone through this matter with the President I told him of my condition of health and that my doctors felt that I must take a complete rest and that I thought that that meant leaving the Department finally in a short time. — Henry L. Stimson
Henry L. Stimson Quotes On Japanese
We face the delicate question of the diplomatic fencing to be done so as to be sure Japan is put into the wrong and makes the first bad move. ... The question was how we should maneuver them [the Japanese] into the position of firing the first shot. — Henry L. Stimson
I do not see how the Japanese can hold out against this united front. — Henry L. Stimson
Their racial characteristics are such that we cannot understand or trust even the citizen Japanese. — Henry L. Stimson
The Japanese campaign involves therefore two great uncertainties; first, whether Russia will come in though we think that will be all right; and second, when and how S-1 will resolve itself. — Henry L. Stimson
Henry L. Stimson Famous Quotes And Sayings
It seems as if everybody in the country was getting impatient to get his or her particular soldier out of the Army and to upset the carefully arranged system of points for retirement which we had arranged with the approval of the Army itself. — Henry L. Stimson
When all the arguments have been forgotten, this central fact will remain. The two nations fought a single war, and their quarrels were the quarrels of brothers. — Henry L. Stimson
Now the thing is not to get into unnecessary quarrels by talking too much and not to indicate any weakness by talking too much; let our actions speak for themselves. — Henry L. Stimson
Marriage should be a duet -- when one sings, the other claps. Joe Murray The only way to make a man trustworthy is to trust him. — Henry L. Stimson
There has been growing quite a strain of irritating feeling between our government and the Russians and it seems to me that it is a time for me to use all the restraint I can on these other people who have been apparently getting a little more irritated. — Henry L. Stimson
I told him that my own opinion was that the time now and the method now to deal with Russia was to keep our mouths shut and let our actions speak for words. — Henry L. Stimson
When the news first came that Japan had attacked us my first feeling was of relief that ... a crisis had come in a way which would unite all our people. This continued to be my dominant feeling in spite of the news of catastrophes which quickly developed. — Henry L. Stimson
I think it is very important that I should have a talk with you as soon as possible on a highly secret matter. I mentioned it to you shortly after you took office but have not urged it since on account of the pressure you have been under. — Henry L. Stimson
If you are going to try to go to war, or to prepare for war, in a capitalist country, you have got to let business make money out of the process or business won't work. — Henry L. Stimson
Over any such tangled wave of problems the S-1 secret would be dominant and yet we will not know until after that time probably, until after that meeting, whether this is a weapon in our hands or not. — Henry L. Stimson
Life Lessons by Henry L. Stimson
- Henry L. Stimson's work as an American statesman demonstrates the importance of diplomacy and compromise in achieving meaningful progress.
- He also serves as a reminder of the power of strong leadership and the need to take responsibility for one's actions.
- Stimson's legacy shows the value of having a long-term vision and understanding the importance of international cooperation in order to create a better future.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of Henry L. Stimson quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about Henry L. Stimson to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by Henry L. Stimson. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage