64+ James D. Watson Quotes On Education, Behaviorism And Nursing
Quick Jump To
Top 10 James D. Watson Quotes (BEST)
- Science moves with the spirit of an adventure characterized both by youthful arrogance and by the belief that the truth, once found, would be simple as well as pretty.
- Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose objections are based not on reasoning but on doctrinaire adherence to religious principles.
- Whenever you interview fat people, you feel bad, because you know you're not going to hire them.
- The way to do great science is to stay away from subjects that are overpopulated, and go to the frontiers.
- At lunch Francis [Crick] winged into the Eagle to tell everyone within hearing distance that we had found the secret of life.
- A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.
- I never dreamed that in my lifetime my own genome would be sequenced.
- Do things as soon as you can. If a decision needs to be made, make it. It gives you more time to change your mind.
- Science that leads over the horizon depends on gathering the best minds and enabling them to do what the best minds naturally seek to do: pursue the most thrilling questions of the time.
- Science has always been my preoccupation and when you think a breakthrough is possible, it is terribly exciting.
James D. Watson Short Quotes
- Biology has at least 50 more interesting years.
- Nothing new that is really interesting comes without collaboration
- DNA was my only gold rush. I regarded DNA as worth a gold rush.
- I wanted to see if I could write a good book.
- Our goal should be to understand our differences.
- Never be the brightest person in the room.
- People say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think it would be great.
- (The National Cancer Program is) a bunch of (obscenity).
- The American public is being sold a very nasty bill of goods about cancer.
- If scientists don't play God, who will?
James D. Watson Quotes On Genetics
I turned against the left wing because they don't like genetics, because genetics implies that sometimes in life we fail because we have bad genes. They want all failure in life to be due to the evil system. — James D. Watson
Ultimately, we'll help the people we discriminate against if we try to understand more about them; genetics will lead to a world where there is a sympathy for the underdog. — James D. Watson
Every time you understand something, religion becomes less likely. Only with the discovery of the double helix and the ensuing genetic revolution have we had grounds for thinking that the powers held traditionally to be the exclusive property of the gods might one day be ours. 5 — James D. Watson
James D. Watson Quotes On Science
There is only one science, physics: everything else is social work. — James D. Watson
Science seldom proceeds in the straightforward logical manner imagined by outsiders. Instead, its steps forward (and sometimes backward) are often very human events in which personalities and cultural traditions play major roles. — James D. Watson
I think the reason people are dealing with science less well now than 50 years ago is that it has become so complicated. — James D. Watson
Moving forward will not be for the faint of heart. But if the next century witnesses failure, let it be because our science is not yet up to the job, not because we don't have the courage to make less random the sometimes most unfair courses of human evolution. — James D. Watson
Racists have often used pseudoscience to justify their socially damaging views; watch these films to see how science, by replacing ignorance with knowledge, can undo that damage. — James D. Watson
One of the greatest gifts science has brought to the world is continuing elimination of the supernatural. — James D. Watson
We're not all equal, it's simply not true. That isn't science. — James D. Watson
Already for thirty-five years he had not stopped talking and almost nothing of fundamental value had emerged. — James D. Watson
James D. Watson Famous Quotes And Sayings
Remember, grab you're future with both hands and mold it into what you want it to be. It's the determined, who create the life they want, while the idle sit by and watch it fade away into nothingness. The future belongs to the exceptional individuals, who can see the light of the future, at the end of the tunnel. — James D. Watson
There is no firm reason to anticipate that the intellectual capacities of peoples geographically separated in their evolution should prove to have evolved identically. Our wanting to reserve equal powers of reason as some universal heritage of humanity will not be enough to make it so. — James D. Watson
One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. — James D. Watson
I have a son, who is a... not an ordinary form of schizophrenia, but clearly, cannot take care of himself. And the great fear of then, of all parents is, when the parents die, who takes care of your child? And the answer is: they become homeless. — James D. Watson
For all my life, America was the place to be. And we somehow continue to be the place where there are real opportunities to change the world for the better. — James D. Watson
The ever quickening advances of science made possible by the success of the Human Genome Project will also soon let us see the essences of mental disease. Only after we understand them at the genetic level can we rationally seek out appropriate therapies for such illnesses as schizophrenia and bipolar disease. — James D. Watson
I don't think we are here for anything. We're just products of evolution. You can say, "Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose." But I'm anticipating a good lunch. — James D. Watson
Ever since we achieved a breakthrough in the area of recombinant DNA in 1973, left-wing nuts and environmental kooks have been screaming that we will create some kind of Frankenstein bug or Andromeda Strain that will destroy us all. — James D. Watson
Take young researchers, put them together in virtual seclusion, give them an unprecedented degree of freedom and turn up the pressure by fostering competitiveness. — James D. Watson
The biggest advantage to believing in God is you don't have to understand anything, no physics, no biology. I wanted to understand. — James D. Watson
Some think there is something wrong about enhancing people. — James D. Watson
A clone of Einstein wouldn't be stupid, but he wouldn't necessarily be any genius, either. — James D. Watson
If I had been married earlier in life, I wouldn't have seen the double helix. I would have been taking care of the kids on Saturday. On the other hand, I was lonely a lot of the time. — James D. Watson
The brain is the last and grandest biological frontier, the most complex thing we have yet discovered in our universe. It contains hundreds of billions of cells interlinked through trillions of connections. The brain boggles the mind. — James D. Watson
I'm basically a libertarian. I don't want to restrict anyone from doing anything unless it's going to harm me. I don't want [to] pass a law stopping someone from smoking. It's just too dangerous. You lose the concept of a free society. Since we are genetically so diverse and our brains are so different, we're going to have different aspirations. — James D. Watson
I have been much blessed. — James D. Watson
It's necessary to be slightly underemployed if you are to do something significant. — James D. Watson
My heroes were never scientists. They were Graham Greene and Christopher Isherwood, you know, good writers. — James D. Watson
Knowing "why" (an idea) is more important than learning "what" (the fact). — James D. Watson
You've never heard of an English lover. Only an English patient. — James D. Watson
No good model ever accounted for all the facts, since some data was bound to be misleading if not plain wrong. — James D. Watson
No one may have the guts to say this, but if we could make better human beings by knowing how to add genes, why shouldn't we? — James D. Watson
Polls consistently show that the majority of Americans favour research using embryonic stem cells and yet politicians continue to pander to the outspoken religious minority that is hampering efforts to develop this potentially valuable technology. — James D. Watson
There are many people of color who are very talented. — James D. Watson
The brain, is the most complex thing we have yet discovered in our universe. — James D. Watson
I am thrilled to see my genome. — James D. Watson
The luckiest thing that ever happened to me was that my father didn't believe in God, and so he had no hang-ups about souls. — James D. Watson
If we don't play God, who will? — James D. Watson
The pace of discovery is going unbelievably fast. — James D. Watson
[As a young man ] I came to the conclusion that the church was just a bunch of fascists that supported Franco. I stopped going on Sunday mornings and watched the birds with my father instead. — James D. Watson
I wish there would be more movies about scientists. — James D. Watson
As an educator, I have always striven to see that the fruits of the American Dream are available to all. — James D. Watson
If you succeed with your first dream, it helps. You know, people trust you, possibly, for the second one. They give you a chance to play out your second one. — James D. Watson
Life Lessons by James D. Watson
- James D. Watson taught us that hard work and dedication can lead to great success, as he won a Nobel Prize for his discovery of the structure of DNA.
- He also showed us that failure is an opportunity to learn and grow, as he faced criticism and failure in his early career before achieving his goals.
- Finally, he demonstrated the importance of collaboration, as he worked with Francis Crick to make their groundbreaking discovery.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of James D. Watson quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about James D. Watson to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by James D. Watson. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage