21+ Ma Jian Quotes On Friendship, Provocative And Surreal
Quick Jump To
Top 10 Ma Jian Quotes (BEST)
- Beijing Coma took me 10 years to finish.
- When history is erased, people's moral values are also erased.
- China is completely lacking in self-awareness and as someone who has stepped outside that society, I have a responsibility to write about it as I see it.
- I left Beijing in 1987, shortly before my books were banned there, but have returned continually.
- Tyrannies not only want to control your mind and thoughts but your flesh as well.
- I believe that the power of literature is stronger than the power of tyranny.
- The Beijing Olympics represent China's grand entrance onto the world stage and confirmation of its new superpower status.
- Red Dust was about the late 1980s; it was a time of burgeoning hopes and opening up and people searching for new ways.
- Living in London is like being on a luxury cruise liner.
- I wanted to analyse and understand how the Chinese people could have their lives so crushed by fear.
Ma Jian Quotes On Chinese
My hope is that the Chinese government will come to realise that it is futile to repress free speech, and that contrary to what they believe a regime's strength rests not its suppression of a plurality of opinions and ideas, but in its capacity and willingness to encourage them. — Ma Jian
The Chinese people have been forced to forget the Tiananmen massacre. There has been no public debate about the event, no official apology. The media aren't allowed to mention it. Still today people are being persecuted and imprisoned for disseminating information about it. — Ma Jian
The literal meaning of the Chinese characters for revolution is elimination of life — Ma Jian
Ma Jian Quotes On Return
In 1989, I was on Tiananmen Square with the students, living in their makeshift tents and joining their jubilant singing of the Internationale. In the two decades since, each time that I have gone back, visions from those days seem to return with increasing persistence. — Ma Jian
It is vitally important for me, both personally and for my writing, to be able to return to China freely, so being barred entry has caused me deep concern and distress. — Ma Jian
In February of this year I returned to China to research my next book. The authorities know about the novels of mine that have been published in the west, including the latest one, Beijing Coma, about a student shot in Tiananmen Square, but so far have allowed me to return. — Ma Jian
Ma Jian Famous Quotes And Sayings
To become self-aware, people must be allowed to hear a plurality of opinions and then make up their own minds. They must be allowed to say, write and publish whatever they want. Freedom of expression is the most basic, but fundamental, right. Without it, human beings are reduced to automatons. — Ma Jian
I will not let a political party tell me how to live, when to die or what to believe in. Our souls are linked to the universe, but we can never see heaven, because our flesh ties us to the earth and the people around us. But when the people around you have lost their will to be free, then earth becomes a hell. — Ma Jian
Everything I was I carry with me, everything I will belies waiting on the road ahead. — Ma Jian
Only when you are aware of the uniqueness of everyone's individual body will you begin to have a sense of your own self-worth. — Ma Jian
I meant that the Chinese people are not aware of their own entrapment. They believe they live in a free society, but don't realize how much they are being monitored and controlled, how much the information they receive is restricted and warped, until they step out of line, that is, and feel the heavy hand of the state fall on them. — Ma Jian
Life Lessons by Ma Jian
- Ma Jian's work emphasizes the importance of resilience in the face of adversity, showing that no matter how difficult life can be, it is possible to overcome challenges and find a way forward.
- Ma Jian's work also highlights the power of storytelling as a way to explore the human experience and to connect with others.
- Lastly, Ma Jian's work encourages readers to think critically about the world around them and to challenge the status quo in order to create a better future.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of Ma Jian quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about Ma Jian to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by Ma Jian. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage