23+ Max Eastman Quotes On Education, War And Progressive
Quick Jump To
Top 10 Max Eastman Quotes (BEST)
- Humor is the instinct for taking pain playfully.
- Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails.
- A smile is the universal welcome.
- It is the ability to take a joke, not make one, that proves you have a sense of humor.
- Living well is the best revenge.If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
- The defining function of the artist is to cherish consciousness.
- Patriotism is one of the unalterable facts of man's nature. It is a virtue if you like it, and a vice if you don't like it.
- Laughter puts your brain, your central nervous system and your whole being into a state of free play.
- Classic art was the art of necessity: modern romantic art bears the stamp of caprice and chance.
- I don't know why it is we are in such a hurry to get up when we fall down. You might think we would lie there and rest for a while.
Max Eastman Short Quotes
- Laughter is, after speech, the chief thing that holds society together.
- A poet in history is divine, but a poet in the next room is a joke.
- There is truth in the high opinion that in so far as a man conforms, he ceases to exist.
- There is something self-defeating in the too-conscious pursuit of pleasure.
- The worst enemy of human hope is not brute facts, but men of brains who will not face them.
Max Eastman Quotes On Mind
A joke is not a thing but a process, a trick you play on the listener's mind. You start him off toward a plausible goal, and then by a sudden twist you land him nowhere at all or just where he didn't expect to go. — Max Eastman
Emotion is the surest arbiter of a poetic choice, and it is the priest of all supreme unions in the mind. — Max Eastman
A liberal mind is a mind that is able to imagine itself believing anything. — Max Eastman
Max Eastman Famous Quotes And Sayings
Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails. And a tail is an awkward thing to laugh with, as you can see by the way they bend themselves half double in extreme hilarity trying to get that rear-end exuberance forward into the main scene of action. What puts man on a higher stage of evolution is that he has got his laugh on the right end. — Max Eastman
If one were loyal to one's nation only because it was good and true ... one would not be loyal to any nation but to truth and goodness. The idea of patriotism would have no place either in our dictionaries or our lives. — Max Eastman
Humor is a kind of emotional chaos told about calmly and quietly in retrospect.There is always a laugh in the utterly familiar. — Max Eastman
The real guarantee of freedom is an equilibrium of social forces in conflict, not the triumph of any one force. — Max Eastman
He [P.G.Wodehouse] is I believe, the only man living who speaks with equal fluency the American and English languages. — Max Eastman
Life Lessons by Max Eastman
- Max Eastman taught us to think critically and question authority, as he was a firm believer in the power of the individual to make a difference.
- He also encouraged us to be passionate about our beliefs and to stand up for what we believe in, no matter the cost.
- Finally, Max Eastman's work reminded us to never give up on our dreams, and to strive for excellence in all that we do.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of Max Eastman quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about Max Eastman to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by Max Eastman. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage