31+ Simon Hoggart Quotes On Education, Humorous And Insightful
Quick Jump To
Top 10 Simon Hoggart Quotes (BEST)
- I know of no wars started by anyone to impose lack of religion on someone else.
- Fish have water, the bushmen of the Kalahari have sand, and Houstonians have interior décor.
- The formal Washington dinner party has all the spontaneity of a Japanese imperial funeral.
- Why should we subsidize intellectual curiosity?
- Living in New York is like being at some terrible late-night party. You're tired, you've had a headache since you arrived, but you can't leave because then you'd miss the party.
- A British lawyer would like to think of himself as part of that mysterious entity called The Law; an American lawyer would like a swimming pool and two houses.
- Canada is not so much a country as a clothesline nearly 4,000 miles long. St John's in Newfoundland is closer to Milan, Italy than to Vancouver.
- There are few tribes more loathsome than the American Right, and their vicious use of the shortcomings in the NHS to attack Barack Obama's attempts at health reform are a useful reminder.
- Seeing John Major govern the country is like watching Edward Scissorhands try to make balloon animals.
- They're called Virgin Trains because they don't go all the way.
Simon Hoggart Short Quotes
- She is the first head of government in history to give a whole country its second childhood.
- Even I would find a book about my life pretty dull.
- Peter Mandelson is the only man I know who can skulk in broad daylight.
- In Washington, success is just a training course for failure.
- I've served on five different juries, and many of them were bonkers in their own way.
Simon Hoggart Quotes On Love
America loves the representation of its heroes to be not just larger than life, but stupendously, awesomely bigger than anything else. If blue whales built statues to each other they'd be smaller then these. — Simon Hoggart
Until now their line has been that the Tories are incapable of doing anything about poverty, and aren't interested in doing it in the first place. By contrast, Labour says, we are also incapable of doing anything about poverty, but would dearly love to do something. If we knew what. — Simon Hoggart
Americans are fascinated by their own love of shopping. This does not make them unique. It's just that they have more to buy than most other people on the planet. And it's also an affirmation of faith in their country. — Simon Hoggart
Simon Hoggart Famous Quotes And Sayings
In Washington, the first thing people tell you is what their job is. In Los Angeles you learn their star sign. In Houston you're told how rich they are. And in New York they tell you what their rent is. — Simon Hoggart
Disney World has acquired by now something of the air of a national shrine. American parents who don't take their children there sense obscurely that they have failed in some fundamental way, like Muslims who never made it to Mecca. — Simon Hoggart
I've been intrigued by 'Le Monde' ever since work took me to Paris once, and I noted that on a day when there was some huge worldwide story, the paper led its front page on some cabinet changes in Turkey. It implied a magnificent disdain for the quotidian folderol of mere news. — Simon Hoggart
Some government expenditure actually makes a profit. Our theatre leads the world. Loads of tourists must be attracted by the fact that you could spend a week in London doing nothing but visit superb museums and galleries, free. — Simon Hoggart
The Chinese do make vast quantities of wine for home consumption, but you wouldn't want to drink it yourself. — Simon Hoggart
I'm often amazed at the way politicians, who spend hours poring over opinion poll results in a desperate attempt to discover what the public thinks, are certain they know precisely what God's views are on everything. — Simon Hoggart
Reagan was a flesh and blood version of any other mute national emblem, say the Statue of Liberty. Everyone knows what she represents, but no one would dream of asking her opinion. — Simon Hoggart
All over the U.S. there are people whose lives are being destroyed for lack of proper health care provision, and there is no sight more odious than the rich, powerful and arrogant trying to keep it that way. — Simon Hoggart
The nanny seemed to be extinct until 1975, when, like the coelacanth, she suddenly and unexpectedly reappeared in the shape of Margaret Thatcher. — Simon Hoggart
Life was so much simpler in pre-video days when everyone refused invitations because the 'Forsyte Saga' was on. Now we all just have a long list of unwatched shows, all of which, it seems, our friends are raving about. I feel as outdated as if I wore a Fair Isle sweater, ate Pot Noodle and had a two-bar electric fire in the sitting room. — Simon Hoggart
Reagan is the only man to take the presidency as a part-time job, a means of filling up the otherwise empty hours of retirement. — Simon Hoggart
Corney & Barrow are proud to have the royal warrant, meaning that they provide the Palace with some of the greatest - and necessarily most expensive - wines from around the world. I am pleased to say that they also hold my own warrant, for providing exceptional wines at - surprisingly - modest prices. — Simon Hoggart
Curiously, it is hard not to be a little optimistic about the future for Zimbabwe (as nobody at all calls it yet, except in political speeches). The fear is not that there will be mass slaughter of the whites, followed by their flight to South Africa and the collapse of the economy, but that the need to retain white confidence may mean that the blacks are badly disappointed. — Simon Hoggart
Life Lessons by Simon Hoggart
- Simon Hoggart taught us to be mindful of the power of words, to be aware of the impact of our words on others, and to be mindful of the consequences of our actions.
- He also showed us the importance of being able to laugh at ourselves and to be able to see the humor in life, even in the midst of difficult situations.
- Finally, he taught us to be resilient and to never give up in the face of adversity, no matter how difficult the situation may be.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of Simon Hoggart quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about Simon Hoggart to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by Simon Hoggart. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage