23+ Stephen Bayley Quotes On And Management, Cultural And Insightful
Top 10 Stephen Bayley Quotes (BEST)
- It is the fragrant lack of practicality that makes high-heeled shoes so fascinating: in terms of static mechanics they induce a sort of insecurity which some find titillating.
- It is sometimes easier to have furniture made than to find things.
- The assumption must be that those who can see value only in tradition, or versions of it, deny man's ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Taste is more to do with manners than appearances. Taste is both myth and reality; it is not a style.
- Where do architects and designers get their ideas? The answer, of course, is mainly from other architects and designers, so is it mere casuistry to distinguish between tradition and plagiarism?
- I have no particular interest in antiquities or antiques, but I like things to meet a certain aesthetic.
- I wouldn't mind someone lobbing hand grenades at me, but having to reset the timer on the video recorder puts me into a blood-spitting frenzy.
- If you were born in Britain after World War II, you see a continuous atmosphere of decline, moral and economic and political.
- My wife and I both love cooking - I am an advanced male - so we argue about who gets to rustle up dinner.
- You are what you pretend to be.
Stephen Bayley Famous Quotes And Sayings
As the twentieth century ends, commerce and culture are coming closer together. The distinction between life and art has been eroded by fifty years of enhanced communications, ever-improving reproduction technologies and increasing wealth. — Stephen Bayley
Fashion is primitive in its insistence on exhibitionism, which withers in isolation. The catwalk fashion show with its incandescent hype is its apotheosis. A ritualized gathering of connoiseurs and the spoilt at a spotlit parade of snazzy pulchritude, it is an industrialized version of the pagan festivals of renewal. At the end of each seasonal display, a priesthood is enjoined to carry news of the omens to the masses. — Stephen Bayley
Everyone has taste, yet it is more of a taboo subject than sex or money. The reason for this is simple: claims about your attitudes to or achievements in the carnal and financial arenas can be disputed only by your lover and your financial advisers, whereas by making statements about your taste you expose body and soul to terrible scrutiny. Taste is a merciless betrayer of social and cultural attitudes. Thus, while anybody will tell you as much (and perhaps more than) you want to know about their triumphs in bed and at the bank, it is taste that gets people's nerves tingling. — Stephen Bayley
I have a character failing. I am quite incapable of identifying with anything whole-heartedly. Whatever I am doing, I am always planning to do something else. I would rather travel than arrive. — Stephen Bayley
Interior design is a travesty of the architectural process and a frightening condemnation of the credulity, helplessness and gullibility of the most formidable consumers — Stephen Bayley
You must never aspire to 'finish' a house, you can merely hope to start it, and from then on it's an evolutionary process. — Stephen Bayley
Fashion is the most intense expression of the phenomenon of neomania, which has grown ever since the birth of capitalism. Neomania assumes that purchasing the new is the same as acquiring value.... If the purchase of a new garment coincides with the wearing out of an old one, then obviously there is no fashion. If a garment is worn beyond the moment of its natural replacement, there is pauperization. Fashion flourishes on surplus, when someone buys more than he or she needs. — Stephen Bayley
That's one of the things about getting older isn't it? You suddenly realise that you are what you set out to be. And there are no role models any more. — Stephen Bayley
Watteau is no less an artist for having painted a fascia board while Sainsbury's is no less effective a business for producing advertisements which entertain and educate instead of condescending and exploiting. — Stephen Bayley
I just don't understand how you can not be concerned about your appearance. From time to time I'm vilified as the person who cares about the look of a teapot - and it's not that I believe my taste is superior , I just can not believe that other people don't care. — Stephen Bayley
I have put [the word] "discoveries" in inverted commas because scientific results, perhaps as much at least as artistic achievements, are a product of contemporary taste, driven by momentary appetites rather than eternal verities. — Stephen Bayley
While there is a great value in things that are old, it seems that the overwhelming challenge in Britain in the late 20th century is to make every effort to see value in the contemporary and in the future. — Stephen Bayley
It is the fragrant lack of practicality that makes high-heeled shoes so fascinating: in terms of static mechanics they induce a sort of insecurity which some find titillating. If a woman wears a high-heeled shoe it changes the apparent musculature of the leg so that you get an effect of twanging sinew, of tension needing to be released. Her bottom sticks out like an offering. At the same time, the lofty perch is an expression of vulnerability, she is effectively hobbled and unable to escape. There is something arousing about this declaration that she is prepared to sacrifice function for form. — Stephen Bayley
Life Lessons by Stephen Bayley
- Stephen Bayley's work emphasizes the importance of design in everyday life, and how it can be used to shape culture and influence society.
- He encourages us to think critically about the design of products and services, and how they can be improved to better suit the needs of their users.
- He also reminds us to appreciate good design and to recognize the power it has to create meaningful experiences and improve our lives.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of Stephen Bayley quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about Stephen Bayley to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by Stephen Bayley. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage