57+ William Lyon Phelps Quotes On Education, Religion And Success
Quick Jump To
Top 10 William Lyon Phelps Quotes (BEST)
- The highest happiness on earth is the happiness of marriage.
- I believe a knowledge of the Bible without a college course is more valuable than a college course without a Bible.
- I divide all readers into two classes: those who read to remember and those who read to forget.
- In the whole story of Jesus Christ, the most important event is the resurrection.
- One of the secrets of life is to keep our intellectual curiosity acute.
- The belief that youth is the happiest time of life is founded on a fallacy. The happiest person is the person who thinks the most interesting thoughts, and we grow happier as we grow older.
- To a man the greatest blessing is individual liberty; to a dog it is the last word in despair.
- A cat pours his body on the floor like water. It is restful just to see him.
- There is a strange reluctance on the part of most people to admit that they enjoy life.
- PAINT THE WALLS OF your mind With many beautiful pictures.
William Lyon Phelps Short Quotes
- You can learn more about human nature by reading the Bible than by living in New York.
- The final test of a gentleman is his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him.
- Not doing more than the average is what keeps the average down.
- The greatest of all the arts is the art of living together!
- At a certain age some people's minds close up; they live on their intellectual fat.
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
- Never try to outsmart a woman, unless you are another woman.
- Real happiness is not dependent on external things.
- Why is it so many people are afraid to admit they are happy?
- Two persons who love each other are in a place more holy than the interior of a church.
William Lyon Phelps Quotes On Education
How essential it is in youth to acquire some intellectual or artistic tastes, in order to furnish the mind, to be able to live inside a mind with attractive and interesting pictures on the walls. — William Lyon Phelps
Herein lies the real value of education. Advanced education may or may not make men and women more efficient; but it enriches personality, increases the wealth of the mind, and hence brings happiness. — William Lyon Phelps
Being educated means to prefer the best not only to the worst but to the second best. — William Lyon Phelps
The teacher should make a concerted effort never to lose his temper in the presence of the class. If a man, he may take refuge in profane soliloquies. If a woman, she may follow the example of one sweet-faced tranquil girl who went out in the yard and gnawed a post. — William Lyon Phelps
William Lyon Phelps Quotes On Life
A well-ordered life is like climbing a tower; the view halfway up is better than the view from the base, and it steadily becomes finer as the horizon expands. — William Lyon Phelps
The fear of life is the favorite disease of the 20th century. — William Lyon Phelps
Whenever it is in any way possible, every boy and girl should choose as his life work some occupation which he should like to do anyhow, even if he did not need the money. — William Lyon Phelps
Life, with all it's sorrows, cares, perplexities and heart-breaks, is more interesting than bovine placidity, hence more desirable. The more interesting it is, the happier it is. — William Lyon Phelps
Every time you acquire a new interest, even more, a new accomplishment, you increase your power of life. — William Lyon Phelps
One appreciates that daily life is really good when one wakes from a horrible dream, or when one takes the first outing after a sickness. Why not realize it now? — William Lyon Phelps
William Lyon Phelps Quotes On Happiest
Those who decide to use leisure as a means of mental development, who love good music, good books, good pictures, good plays, good company, good conversation - what are they? They are the happiest people in the world. — William Lyon Phelps
If happiness truly consisted in physical ease and freedom from care, then the happiest individual would not be either a man or a woman; it would be, I think, an American cow. — William Lyon Phelps
The happiest people in this world are those who have the most interesting thoughts. — William Lyon Phelps
William Lyon Phelps Famous Quotes And Sayings
Real happiness is not dependent on external things. The pond is fed from within. The kind of happiness that stays with you is the happiness that springs from inward thoughts and emotions. You must cultivate your mind if you wish to achieve enduring happiness. — William Lyon Phelps
Herein lies the real value of education. Advanced education may or may not make men and women more efficient; but it enriches personality, increases the wealth of the mind, and hence brings happiness. It is the finest insurance against old age, against the growth of physical disability, of the lack and loss of animal delights. — William Lyon Phelps
This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him. — William Lyon Phelps
The highest happiness on earth is marriage. Every man who is happily married is a successful man even if he has failed in everything else. — William Lyon Phelps
Unlimited power is worse for the average person than unlimited alcohol; and the resulting intoxication is more damaging for others. Very few have not deteriorated when given absolute dominion. It is worse for the governor than for the governed. — William Lyon Phelps
God speaks to me not through the thunder and the earthquake, nor through the ocean and the stars, but through the Son of Man, and speaks in a language adapted to my imperfect sight and hearing. — William Lyon Phelps
A student never forgets an encouraging private word, when it is given with sincere respect and admiration. — William Lyon Phelps
I do not know how wicked American millionaires are, but as I travel about and see the results of their generosity in the form of hospitals, churches, public libraries, universities, parks, recreation grounds, art museums and theatres I wonder what on earth we should do without them. — William Lyon Phelps
I am glad my ancestors arrived on the Mayflower, but I am gladder that there are nine generations between us. — William Lyon Phelps
The principle of happiness should be like the principle of virtue: it should not be dependent of things, but be a part of personality [and character]. — William Lyon Phelps
Marriage is a fine and sacred thing if you make it so. — William Lyon Phelps
A bibliophile of little means is likely to suffer often. Books don't slip from his hands but fly past him through the air, high as birds, high as prices. — William Lyon Phelps
Whenever it is possible, a boy should choose some occupation which he should do even if he did not need the money. — William Lyon Phelps
In a start-up company, you basically throw out all assumptions every three weeks. — William Lyon Phelps
Honesty is not necessarily the best policy. The best policy would be to acquire a reputation for honesty and then to cheat at the psychological moment. — William Lyon Phelps
The happiest people are those who think the most interesting thoughts. Those who decide to use leisure as a means of mental development, who love good music, good books, good pictures, good company, good conversation, are the happiest people in the world. And they are not only happy in themselves, they are the cause of happiness in others. — William Lyon Phelps
You can be deprived of your money, your job and your home by someone else, but remember that no one can ever take away your honor. — William Lyon Phelps
The kind of happiness that stays with you is the happiness that springs from inward thoughts and emotions. — William Lyon Phelps
My religious faith remains in possession of the field only after prolonged civil war with my naturally skeptical mind. — William Lyon Phelps
There is never much trouble in any family where the children hope someday to resemble their parents. — William Lyon Phelps
A middle-aged cat will often play as unreservedly as a kitten, though he knows perfectly well it is only a game. — William Lyon Phelps
The amazing activity of the cat is delicately balanced by his capacity for relaxation. Every household should contain a cat, not only for decorative and domestic values, but because the cat in quiescence is medicinal to irritable, tense, tortured men and women. — William Lyon Phelps
If I were running the world I would have it rain only between 2 and 5 a.m. Anyone who was out then ought to get wet. — William Lyon Phelps
I find daily life not always joyous, but always interesting. I have some sad days and nights, but none that are dull. As I advance deeper into the vale of years, I live with constantly increasing gusto and excitement. I am sure it all means something; in the last analysis, I am an optimist because I believe in God. Those who have no faith are quite naturally pessimists and I do not blame them. — William Lyon Phelps
Life Lessons by William Lyon Phelps
- William Lyon Phelps taught that the purpose of education is to help students develop their own individual potential and to become contributing members of society.
- He believed that education should be focused on the individual, not on grades or awards, and that everyone should be given the opportunity to learn and grow.
- He also emphasized the importance of cultivating a love of learning and of developing a strong work ethic in order to achieve success.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of William Lyon Phelps quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about William Lyon Phelps to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by William Lyon Phelps. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage