63+ Yayoi Kusama Quotes On Art, Psychedelic And Patterned
Quick Jump To
Top 10 Yayoi Kusama Quotes (BEST)
- Become one with eternity. Become part of your environment. Take off your clothes. Forget yourself. Make love. Self-destruction is the only way to peace.
- Polka dots can't stay alone. When we obliterate nature and our bodies with polka dots, we become part of the unity of our environments.
- It is my wish to leave a message to the whole world from the universe, a message of love and peace to the people of the world.
- I always see these landscapes in my dreams, and feel happy. I desperately try to transform these dreams into artwork, so that even while napping, I construct and reconstruct various images.
- Now our Earth is swarmed with issues such as life, death, illness, wars, economic crises and many others. It is time that we sing out loud the message, 'Love forever.'
- I have a large number of enthusiastic admirers of my art. And they all sing a hymn in praise from the bottom of their hearts for my art.
- My ideas and creativity are the sources of inspiration for me.
- Certainly, I devote my energy to both telling my personal life story and seeking self- obliteration. However, I will not destroy myself through art.
- Since my childhood, I have always made works with polka dots. Earth, moon, sun and human beings all represent dots; a single particle among billions.
- There were times in the past that I got angry at some members of the press whose writings greatly disrupted my serious pursuit of art and my behavior as an artist.
Yayoi Kusama Short Quotes
- I want to become more famous, even more famous.
- Forget yourself. Become one with eternity. Become part of your environment.
- I have a flood of ideas in my mind. I just follow my vision.
- I, Kusama, am the modern Alice in Wonderland.
- My mother was against me being an artist. She just wanted me to marry a rich man.
- I was in the U.S. about 15 years. Especially in New York. And then I came back to Japan.
- I never have a plan of what I am going to draw.
- I want to create a thousand paintings, maybe two thousand paintings, as many as I can draw.
- I will keep painting until I die.
- The country of Britain is wonderful because of its royalty.
Yayoi Kusama Quotes On Art
I fight pain, anxiety, and fear every day, and the only method I have found that relieves my illness is to keep creating art. I followed the thread of art and somehow discovered a path that would allow me to live. — Yayoi Kusama
In my home country, there was a little shop with old books, but it was really in the countryside. You couldn't find English books. I found this very avant-garde American art book that had information about Georgia O'Keeffe. I was very much impressed by her. — Yayoi Kusama
I wanted to start a revolution, using art to build the sort of society I myself envisioned. — Yayoi Kusama
More and more, I think about the role of the arts, and as an artist, I think that it's important that I share the love and peace. — Yayoi Kusama
I have been using polka dots since I was a very young child. Only after that, it seems, have they been used throughout the rest of the art world. — Yayoi Kusama
My art originates from hallucinations only I can see. I translate the hallucinations and obsessional images that plague me into sculptures and paintings. — Yayoi Kusama
I have a lot left inside. I believe my art will last 500 years, 1,000 years and forever. For me, art is everything. I will strive to create works of art until I die, in the hope that my work will continue to touch the hearts of people even after I have died. — Yayoi Kusama
I read the art reviews of my work. Some critics understand my art correctly, while some don't. I simply ignore the reviews written by the latter. — Yayoi Kusama
People ask about art and commercialism. I think that if someone tries to sell their work at a high price, that is the wrong way of doing it. — Yayoi Kusama
If it were not for art, I would have killed myself a long time ago. — Yayoi Kusama
Yayoi Kusama Quotes On Polka
I love Damien Hirst. I respect his work a great deal, and I am happy that the polka dots I started using have become a symbol of love and peace around the world with everybody joining hands to use them in this way. — Yayoi Kusama
If there's a cat, I obliterate it by putting polka dot stickers on it. I obliterate a horse by putting polka dot stickers on it. And I obliterated myself by putting the same polka dot stickers on myself. — Yayoi Kusama
Polka dots are fabulous. — Yayoi Kusama
Suppose I put polka dots all over my body and then cover my background completely with polka dots. The polka dots on my body, merging with those in the background, create an optically strange scene. — Yayoi Kusama
Yayoi Kusama Quotes On Dots
Since childhood, I have been painting, for no special reason, numerous dots and nets, drawing from the hallucinations that seem to appear endlessly. I can't explain why if you ask me. — Yayoi Kusama
My life is a dot lost among thousands of other dots. — Yayoi Kusama
I am just another dot in the world — Yayoi Kusama
Yayoi Kusama Quotes On Work
You know, I must really work hard. I'm in the last stage of my artistic life. But I'm so busy that I can't even think of dying. I fly all over the world, drive everywhere, and when I get home, I find interviewers and photographers and TV shows waiting for me. No wonder I'm so busy. — Yayoi Kusama
I am putting every effort toward creating my works from morning till night on every single day. — Yayoi Kusama
It doesn't matter at all for me that I work in hospital or anywhere with limited space. Every day, I'm creating new works with all my might. — Yayoi Kusama
While producing art works, illusions appear from time to time due to my mental illness. Every day is a struggle for me. — Yayoi Kusama
The reason I collaborate with Louis Vuitton is that Louis Vuitton is number one in the world, and I am honored to work with them. — Yayoi Kusama
You should create a work that is so valuable it might eventually sell at a high price, but you've got to concentrate on how you create that artwork. — Yayoi Kusama
I have done all the work myself, not assistants. That's why I'm in a wheelchair: I've been doing it physically - it's hard labour - throughout my life. — Yayoi Kusama
Yayoi Kusama Quotes On Love
I love painting so much that nothing else matters. — Yayoi Kusama
I believe that eyes are very important motifs. That's something that can discern the peace and love. — Yayoi Kusama
I would like to try harder to establish my thought and philosophy strongly and to go back to the universe with my love. — Yayoi Kusama
Yayoi Kusama Quotes On Life
I would like to dedicate to the whole world a great message. It is a message from Kusama who has struggled to survive as a human being and as an artist, and whose life has been brightly lit and strengthened by her pursuit of truth. — Yayoi Kusama
When I was a child, I used to paint intently. The older I become, and the closer death approaches, the brighter my life gets day by day. — Yayoi Kusama
I have been taking every step toward the future every day through making many paintings and sculptures with my deep emotion hidden in my life. — Yayoi Kusama
I think I will be able to, in the end, rise above the clouds and climb the stairs to Heaven, and I will look down on my beautiful life. — Yayoi Kusama
Yayoi Kusama Famous Quotes And Sayings
A polka-dot has the form of the sun, which is a symbol of the energy of the whole world and our living life, and also the form of the moon, which is calm. Round, soft, colourful, senseless and unknowing. Polka-dots can't stay alone; like the communicative life of people, two or three polka-dots become movement... Polka-dots are a way to infinity. — Yayoi Kusama
My art originates from hallucinations only I can see. I translate the hallucinations and obsessional images that plague me into sculptures and paintings. All my works in pastels are the products of obsessional neurosis and are therefore inextricably connected to my disease. I create pieces even when I don’t see hallucinations, though. — Yayoi Kusama
The thought of continually eating something like macaroni, spat out by machinery, fills me with fear and revulsion, so I make macaroni sculptures. I make them and make them and then keep on making them, until I bury myself in the process. I call this 'obliteration.' — Yayoi Kusama
With just one polka dot, nothing can be achieved. In the universe, there is the sun, the moon, the earth, and hundreds of millions of stars. All of us live in the unfathomable mystery and infinitude of the universe. Pursuing 'philosophy of the universe' through art under such circumstances has led me to what I call 'stereotypical repetition.' — Yayoi Kusama
I have been struggling with mental illness and emptiness throughout my life. Now I want people to understand my glorious quest for the truth. Working on paintings is a process toward my artistic creation. It is a new spiritual theme of my whole philosophy for pursuing the truth. Each painting represents a process in all of my art. — Yayoi Kusama
I hope royalty continues forever. This is the thing that can contribute to peace throughout the world. — Yayoi Kusama
Painting bodies with the patterns of Kusama's hallucinations obliterated their individual selves and returned them to the infinite universe. — Yayoi Kusama
Basically, my idea and explorations on fashion have not changed; however, I believe I'm going state-of-the-art on fashion. — Yayoi Kusama
Georgia O'Keeffe proposed that I live with her. She was in New Mexico then, and I wanted to be in New York. — Yayoi Kusama
When I paint, some things come out, and I don't know. Maybe it's because I have such talent as a painter. — Yayoi Kusama
Every time I have had a problem, I have confronted it with the ax of art. — Yayoi Kusama
New York is the place that made my and other artists' dreams come true by giving us a chance to realise our ideas and concepts. It was a great place for making a presentation of artistic creation. — Yayoi Kusama
Life Lessons by Yayoi Kusama
- Yayoi Kusama's work emphasizes the importance of self-expression and the power of art to create a sense of unity and connectedness.
- Her work also encourages viewers to look beyond the physical world and explore the metaphysical, emphasizing the importance of imagination and creativity.
- Her art also serves as a reminder to appreciate the beauty of the world around us and to be mindful of the interconnectedness of all living things.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of Yayoi Kusama quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about Yayoi Kusama to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by Yayoi Kusama. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage