55+ Philip Johnson Quotes On Education, Religion And Art
Quick Jump To
Top 10 Philip Johnson Quotes (BEST)
- Architecture is the art of how to waste space.
- I hate vacations. If you can build buildings, why sit on the beach?
- All architecture is shelter, all great architecture is the design of space that contains, cuddles, exalts, or stimulates the persons in that space.
- Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business.
- Doing a house is so much harder than doing a skyscraper.
- Don't build a glass house if you're worried about saving money on heating.
- The automobile is the greatest catastrophe in the entire history of City architecture.
- Faith? Haven't any. I'm not a nihilist or a relativist. I don't believe in anything but change. I'm a Heraclitean - you can't step in the same river twice.
- We all see the world differently. And thank God for that. Otherwise, what a boring world this would be.
- I used to think that each phase of life was the end. But now that my view on life is more or less fixed, I believe that change is a great thing. In fact, it's the only real absolute in the world.
Philip Johnson Short Quotes
- I'm a chameleon, so changeable. I see myself as a gadfly and a questioner.
- We do pretty much whatever we want to.
- All architects want to live beyond their deaths.
- So now the floodgates are open to the delight of pure form, whatever its origin. Anything goes.
- I guess I want to make money just like other people, perhaps more than most people.
- If architects weren't arrogant, they wouldn't be architects. I don't know a modest good architect.
- I wish someone would ask me to design a cathedral.
- I'm about four skyscrapers behind.
- Early unsuccessess shouldn't bother anybody because it happens to absolutely everybody.
- Naturalism and materialism mean essentially the same thing.
Philip Johnson Quotes On Art
Architecture is basically the design of interiors, the art of organizing interior space. — Philip Johnson
ARCHITECTURE, n: The art of how to waste space. — Philip Johnson
I wouldn't build a building if it wasn't of interest to me as a potential work of art. Why should I? — Philip Johnson
When a building is as good as that one, f#*@ the art. — Philip Johnson
Architecture is art, nothing else. — Philip Johnson
Philip Johnson Quotes On Life
Scientific naturalism is a story that reduces reality to physical particles and impersonal laws, [and] portrays life as a meaningless competition among organisms that exist only to survive and reproduce. — Philip Johnson
In our universal experience unintelligent material processes do not create life — Philip Johnson
I call myself a traditionalist, although I have fought against tradition all my life. — Philip Johnson
Philip Johnson Quotes On Build
Houston is undoubtedly my showcase city. I saved all my best buildings for Houston. — Philip Johnson
To sum up the state of architecture in America: ninety percent of the buildings we live in and around aren't architecture. No, that's not right - 98 percent. — Philip Johnson
There's no worse feeling than seeing my buildings and realizing the mistakes. — Philip Johnson
I guess I can't be a great architect. Great architects have a recognizable style. But if every building I did were the same, it would be pretty boring. — Philip Johnson
The people with money to build today are corporations - they are our popes and Medicis. The sense of pride is why they build. — Philip Johnson
Purpose is not necessary to make a building beautiful. — Philip Johnson
Philip Johnson Famous Quotes And Sayings
I like the thought that what we are to do on this earth is embellish it for its greater beauty, so that oncoming generations can look back to the shapes we leave here and get the same thrill that I get in looking back at theirs - at the Parthenon, at Chartres Cathedral. — Philip Johnson
It is wonderful to be in the country in a glass house, because no matter what happens out there, you're nice and safe, you know, cuddled in your little bed, and there it is, raging storms, snowing - wonderful. — Philip Johnson
You're going to change the world? Well, go ahead and try. You'll give it up at a certain point and change yourself instead. — Philip Johnson
Concrete you can mold, you can press it into - after all, you haven't any straight lines in your body. Why should we have straight lines in our architecture? You'd be surprised when you go into a room that has no straight line - how marvelous it is that you can feel the walls talking back to you, as it were. — Philip Johnson
I get between nine and ten hours of sleep. Go to bed at 8:30 and get up at 6:00 or 6:30 if I oversleep. — Philip Johnson
I hate the celebrity architect thing. I just do my work. The press comes up with this stuff and it sticks. I hate the word starchitect. Stuff like that comes from mean-spirited, untalented journalists. It's demeaning. — Philip Johnson
In our greatest universities, naturalism - the doctrine that nature is all there is - is the virtually unquestioned assumption that underlies not only natural science but intellectual work of all kinds. — Philip Johnson
I got everything from someone. Nobody can be original. — Philip Johnson
[Evolution] doesn't mean God-guided, gradual creation. It means unguided, purposeless change. The Darwinian theory doesn't say that God created slowly. It says that naturalistic evolution is the creator, and so God had nothing to do with it. — Philip Johnson
Pick very few objects and place them exactly. — Philip Johnson
The best thing to do with water is to use a lot of it. — Philip Johnson
The future of architecture is culture. — Philip Johnson
Ninety-eight percent are boxes, which tells me that a lot of people are in denial. We live and work in boxes. People don't even notice that. Most of what's around us is banal. We live with it. We accept it as inevitable. People say, "This is the world the way it is, and don't bother me." Then when somebody does something different, real architecture, the push-back is amazing. People resist it. At first it's new and scary. — Philip Johnson
I think the collectors have made an enormous contribution, not only to the market but to painters themselves... These people that buy, that set standards, make everyone else itch to emulate. — Philip Johnson
The first complete sentence out of my mouth was probably that line about consistency being the hobgoblin of small minds. — Philip Johnson
American megalomania is largely responsible for the growth of the Skyscraper School. — Philip Johnson
Some of the opera houses in Italy had to be burnt down because people could neither see nor hear. They gave up seeing years ago, but they did enjoy the music. — Philip Johnson
There's no such thing as old age. I'm no different now than I was 50 years ago. I'm just having more fun. — Philip Johnson
Glibness will get your anywhere. — Philip Johnson
From the very fact the universe is on the whole orderly, in a manner comprehensible to our intellect, is evidence that we and it were fashioned by a common intelligence. — Philip Johnson
The practice of architecture is the most delightful of all pursuits. Also, next to agriculture, it is the most necessary to man. One must eat, one must have shelter. Next to religious worship itself, it is the spiritual handmaiden of our deepest convictions. — Philip Johnson
Life Lessons by Philip Johnson
- Philip Johnson taught us the importance of taking risks and pushing boundaries in order to create something truly unique and special. He also showed us that it is possible to be successful in multiple areas of life, and that it is possible to have a lasting impact on the world.
- He also showed us the power of collaboration, and how working with others can help bring ideas to life. He also demonstrated that it is possible to remain passionate and creative throughout one's life, even when faced with challenges.
- Lastly, Philip Johnson showed us that it is possible to make a difference in the world, even if it is in a small way. He showed us that by having the courage to pursue our dreams, we can make a lasting impact on the world.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of Philip Johnson quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about Philip Johnson to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by Philip Johnson. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage