23+ Robert Bolt Quotes On Education, Running And Running Away
Top 10 Robert Bolt Quotes (BEST)
- When a man takes an oath... he's holding his own self in his own hands. Like water.
- It profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for Wales!
- Even at our birth, death does but stand aside a little. And every day he looks towards us and muses somewhat to himself whether that day or the next he will draw nigh.
- A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind.
- I am used to hear bad men misuse the name of God, yet God exists.
- Good marriages are made in heaven. Or some such place.
- Death comes for us all. Even for kings he comes.
- Morality's not practical. Morality's a gesture. A complicated gesture learnt from books.
- The law is not a "light" for you or any man to see by; the law is not an instrument of any kind. The law is a causeway upon which so long as he keeps to it a citizen may walk safely.
- Doin' nothing's a dangerous occupation.
Robert Bolt Famous Quotes And Sayings
This account of him [Thomas More] developed as I wrote: what first attracted me was a person who could not be accused of any incapacity for life, who indeed seized life in great variety and almost greedy quantities, who nevertheless found something in himself without which life was valueless and when that was denied him was able to grasp his death. — Robert Bolt
I'm breathing . . . are you breathing too? It's nice, isn't it? — Robert Bolt
When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties they lead their country by a short route to chaos. — Robert Bolt
Your taste in music is excellent. It exactly coinsides with my own! — Robert Bolt
We speak of being anchored to our principles. But if the weather turns nasty you up with an anchor and let it down where there's less wind, and the fishing's better. — Robert Bolt
The law is not a light for you or any man to see by; the law is not an instrument of any kind. The law is a causeway upon which so long as he keeps to it a citizen may walk safely. — Robert Bolt
Some men think the Earth is round, others think it flat; it is a matter capable of question. But, if it is flat, will the King's command make it round? And, if it is round, will the King's command flatten it? — Robert Bolt
Thomas More: ...And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned around on you--where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country's planted thick with laws from coast to coast--man's laws, not God's--and if you cut them down...d'you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake. — Robert Bolt
When a man takes an oath...,he's holding his ownself in his own hands. Like water. And if he opens his fingers then- he needn't hope to find himself again. — Robert Bolt
Thomas More: Will, I'd trust you with my life. But not your principles. You see, we speak of being anchored to our principles. But if the weather turns nasty you up with an anchor and let it down where there's less wind, and the fishing's better. And "Look," we say, "look, I'm anchored! To my principles! — Robert Bolt
I wish we could all have good luck, all the time! I wish we had wings! I wish rain water was beer! — Robert Bolt
Roper:So now youd give the Devil benefit of law!Sir Thomas More:Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil? Yes, Id give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safetys sake. — Robert Bolt
The man who tells lies hides the truth, but the man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it. — Robert Bolt
Life Lessons by Robert Bolt
- Robert Bolt's work emphasizes the importance of standing up for one's beliefs, even in the face of adversity.
- He also shows that there is often a cost associated with taking a moral stance, but that it is often worth it in the end.
- Finally, Bolt's work demonstrates that it is possible to find a balance between personal convictions and the needs of the greater good.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of Robert Bolt quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about Robert Bolt to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by Robert Bolt. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage