49+ Todd Phillips Quotes On Culture, Education And Future
Quick Jump To
Top 10 Todd Phillips Quotes (BEST)
- I think people like comedies and I think concept driven comedies seem to be working when it's a clear concept and you deliver funny stuff.
- Bangkok, like Las Vegas, sounds like a place where you make bad decisions.
- It's all about escapism. That's essentially what all movies are about. It's a vicarious thrill.
- I really got into filmmaking through photography.
- My movies before tend to be just funny. But it wasn't a conscious thing I was looking for at all.
- How many days do you have that are just purely dramatic? How many days do you have that are just purely comedic? It's usually a combination and I think that's what real life feels like.
- To me, the script is a living, breathing organism. Comedy is something that is ever-changing and ever-flowing with the vibe and the mood of the movie.
- I feel like movies when they work they'll find an audience.
- I just thinks it's interesting what it takes an actor to find their characters through the wardrobe, or the hair, or the way a character walks.
- When I was in NYU Film School I drove a taxi in New York for two years, I felt like I owned my own business with that little taxi.
Todd Phillips Short Quotes
- I'm not worried about young people seeing an opportunity and taking advantage of it.
- You set the tone on the set that you want to see in the film.
- To make a movie about mayhem, sometimes you have to go to mayhem.
- All my movies, as I get the ability to do it, they tend to go a little darker, a little darker.
- Not every movie has to serve as every audience member's need for completion.
- My dog's a gentleman.
- Every weekend in history has worked for movies if the movie connects.
- You're never nice to your friends. You're nice to people you don't like!
- I got nominated for an Academy Award(R) for writing 'Borat.'
Todd Phillips Quotes On Love
There's a darkness under 'The Hangover' because ultimately there's a missing person and it's not really that funny. There's a sort of darkness under it that I love, and still people are laughing as hard if not harder than they did in 'Old School.' — Todd Phillips
I love confidence in a guy. I don't have it, but there's nothing sexier. — Todd Phillips
I just love the look of film. But I have nothing against HD. — Todd Phillips
John Goodman's pretty dark - I love John Goodman. — Todd Phillips
Todd Phillips Quotes On Comedy
I think comedy directors tend to feel a need to justify the bad behavior, and I just never think that. I like bad behavior, I've always liked bad behavior, I'm a fan of bad behavior, and I don't think you have to justify bad behavior. — Todd Phillips
You know, if I started worrying about what the critics think, I'd never make another comedy. You couldn't pick a less funny group than critics - you couldn't find a more bitter group of people! — Todd Phillips
Well, it's so cheesy to say but you can't find a comedy director who makes movies for critics. When a movie does $580 million worldwide, I'm not saying that proves anything except people were enjoying the experience. — Todd Phillips
Comedy is so subjective. You could be in a room with 400 people laughing at a joke and you could just not think it's funny. You're just sitting there like, 'Am I in the twilight zone? Why is everyone laughing?' It's such a personal thing. People have such a personal visceral response to comedy. — Todd Phillips
I think a lot of American comedies tend to apologize for their bad behavior in the last 10 minutes of the movie. — Todd Phillips
Todd Phillips Famous Quotes And Sayings
I never had a ton of male friends and it's always been something that's really interesting to me, what brings guys together? The bonding. 'Old School' is a good example of that. And even 'Starsky' and even 'Road Trip.' — Todd Phillips
I remember that when I got to NYU, everyone was writing scripts. But I was 18 at the time, and when you write a script, so much of it is about what you pull from life, and this sounds sort of cheesy, but I felt like I didn't have enough life experience at that point to write a movie. — Todd Phillips
What it boils down to is that when you say the word Las Vegas it means something. You could say New York City and it doesn't really mean anything. When you say a word like Bangkok, in my mind it means something. There's not a lot of cities where the world literally brings a picture to your mind. — Todd Phillips
I find I like to work with a lot of the same actors, because I find that there's sort of shorthand there, and there is this unspoken trust, both ways. They trust me and I trust them. And I know what I'm going to get from them, to an extent. It's just fun, kind of creating this little family. — Todd Phillips
Reality television hasn't killed documentaries, because there are so many great documentaries still being made, but it certainly has changed the landscape. — Todd Phillips
I don't have a horror film in me just because I don't like to be scared. But I definitely have a documentary in me, and I certainly have dramas. — Todd Phillips
When I was younger I was obsessed with 'Star 80,' and it's just a great movie - I think I saw it three times in the theater. — Todd Phillips
I like - there's a better word for it, but I like the danger that a comic brings to a role. It has a feeling, even though everything's scripted and everything's planned what you're going to do. When I see Will Ferrell or Sacha Baron Cohen, there's a feeling that anything could happen. — Todd Phillips
I was taught that you didn't want to be part of the group - that it was better to do your own thing. — Todd Phillips
When you work on a movie or a TV show, you're a family, so if something that's a two-minute thing in the movie is causing a rift in the family, you also have to think about at what point do you fight this, and at what point is this rift worth having in this very small, very tight group of people who are just there to make something great and funny. — Todd Phillips
You know, because you outline a movie, it kinda comes at the same time. I mean, there are days when you are just concentrating on 'ok, let's worry about just comedy today,' and there are days when you're like 'you know what, we gotta just beef up the story.'. But, it's not like process wise it's that technically separate. One informs the other, so they kinda all happen together ideally. — Todd Phillips
I make decisions to do movies based on the cast. I'd just been working with Zach Galifianakis on 'The Hangover', and I was thinking, I've got to find something to do with this guy immediately. — Todd Phillips
Music is just one of the tools a director has with which to paint and I think it's one of the most effective. — Todd Phillips
I think reviewers have become particularly venomous because, in a way, the power has been sucked from them. A 15-year-old can write a review on the Internet and it means as much as Roger Ebert's review, and that just makes Roger Ebert mad, so he comes out harder and stronger. — Todd Phillips
You're only as good as your body of work, and everybody has issues, whether it's Steven Spielberg or Martin Scorsese. I'm not comparing myself to those guys, but you learn more from the misses than the hits. — Todd Phillips
I grew up raised by my mom and my two sisters, so I never had a real male influence in my life. I never really understood heterosexual male relationships. — Todd Phillips
I take it very seriously, music. I think it's one of the tools that a director has with which to kind of paint. The right music can sometimes do five pages of scripted dialogue. — Todd Phillips
There's such an awkwardness to most heterosexual male relationships. You see women who are friends, and they kiss each other good-bye, and they're just so much warmer with each other. But there's this thing with guys where, even between best friends, there's a standoffishness. — Todd Phillips
Directors tend to be more underrated than overrated because it's a quiet job and people don't really understand it. — Todd Phillips
I think that 'Hangover II' is as funny as 'The Hangover I,' honest to God, but I think that it's a little bit darker, and the stakes are a little bit higher. — Todd Phillips
It becomes pretty crystal clear once you watch that first assembly [movie cut] the things that are just grinding it to a halt, so to speak, or slowing it down, or getting in the way, yeah. — Todd Phillips
Life Lessons by Todd Phillips
- Todd Phillips teaches us that it is possible to create a successful franchise from an original concept. He has shown us that a story can be told in a unique and entertaining way, and that it is possible to make a movie that appeals to a wide audience.
- He also shows us that it is possible to make a movie with a limited budget and still have it be successful. He has demonstrated that with the right combination of creativity, hard work, and dedication, it is possible to create something that is both entertaining and profitable.
- Finally, Todd Phillips has taught us that it is possible to take risks and still be successful. He has shown us that it is possible to make a movie that is different from the norm and still be successful.
Which quote resonated with you best? Did you enjoy our collection of Todd Phillips quotes? Or may be you have a quotation about Todd Phillips to suggest. Let us know using our contact form.
About the author
This collection is managed by Quotlr Team, with an extensive background in quote curation. They have meticulously gathered, researched, and compiled the quotes featured on this page. Every quote has been diligently cross-verified for its origin, its authenticity, and its potential influence on our readership.
Feel free to cite and use any of the quotes by Todd Phillips. For popular citation styles (APA, Chicago, MLA), go to citation page.
Embed HTML Link
Copy and paste this HTML code in your webpage